When it’s an emergency and you need fire damage restoration services, you can trust your local ServiceMaster professionals at (317) 559-223. There’s no job too big or too small. All fires and smoke create damage which can be permanent if fire damage cleanup doesn’t begin within thirty-six hours. Trained, experienced professionals are available 24/7/365 right here in Plainfield, IN. You can call now.
This month our offices in Plainfield, IN have been participating with over 400 other certified ServiceMaster offices in a national campaign for the month of September called ‘Preparedness Month.’ It’s an opportunity for us to share some helpful tips as we prepare for the upcoming Indiana winter.
Here are a few simple fire damage prevention tips to help prepare your home for the upcoming winter months:
- All Heat Sources Serviced – Before turning on the heat for that first cold evening, make sure your heat source is in working order. Faulty heating sources are the primary cause of fire damage during the winter months.
- Smoke Alarm Batteries – We understand smoke alarms sonically create one of the most annoying sounds ever known to man. That’s the point. Mark it on your calendar; test the alarm monthly, replace the batteries yearly, and replace the monitor every ten years.
- Check Power and Extension Cords – Frayed and worn power and extension cords are a spark waiting to happen. Make sure to particularly check all chords placed out of sight under rugs and other floorings. These cords are especially susceptible to excessive wear and fraying and becoming fire starters.
- Fire Extinguishers – Granted, they do look quite cool. However, they aren’t intended to be just part of your home décor. Do you know how to operate your particular extinguisher in the rush and heat of the moment? While you refamiliarize yourself with your fire extinguisher, check the pressure gauge. If the arrow is in the green shading, the pressure is good. If it’s not in the green, then it’s time to replace. Most fire extinguishers last 5 to 10 years.
- Clothes Dryer Lint – You might want to use dryer lint as an ignition source when starting the bedroom fireplace, which means you’ll want to make sure your dryer venting and ductwork is clean and free of lingering lint. One frayed power cord sparking next to dryer lint is all it takes to start a basement bonfire.
- Fireplaces and Candles – Romantic fires and candles scented with pure vanilla bean extract all have their time and place, but don’t leave them unattended. Make sure to extinguish those flickering flames before calling it a night.
- Kitchen Cooks – Stay in the kitchen when you’re cooking. Unattended cooking surfaces cause countless grease and kitchen fires every year. Also, make sure your stove and oven are wiped and regularly cleaned. Oven residue can quickly accumulate, causing internal oven fires which can produce extensive fire damage in a hurry.
We hope these simple fire damage prevention tips will help you prepare for the upcoming Indiana winter. Call ServiceMaster DSI today at (317) 559-2231 with any fire damage restoration needs or questions.